Three Bags Full

The unravelings of the mind of a G*R*I*T*S (Girl Raised In The South) who knits.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

National Infertility Awareness Week


Today is the first day of National Infertility Awareness Week. The Town Criers have some great ideas for spreading infertility awareness. One of the ideas listed is to blog about infertility.

This is my story.

I used to be fertile. I used to get pregnant at the drop of a hat. I could get pregnant on birth control pills. Carrying a baby, though, was a different story. I could get pregnant, but I couldn't stay that way. Finally, after 5 diagnosed (and who knows how many other) miscarriages, I was tested and tested positive for Anticardiolipin Antibodies. So, I'm told that I can get and stay pregnant with the help of heparin.

I go for a while with no cycle, so I'm prescribed Provera, to jumpstart Auntie Flow, and then Clomid to jumpstart to ol'ovaries. Well, provera doesn't work. Auntie Flow refuses to visit. I take the Clomid anyway, and the ol' ovaries are just that. OLD.

Tests are run, and I'm told that I'm post menopausal. I truly believe, though, that the FSH number that I was given has to be overly inflated. Regardless, I would not be getting pregnant without medical intervention.

Now, I was one of those women who felt that they could get pregnant whenever they wanted, and medical intervention was a sign of weakness. I was truly scared to go to the RE for fear of what they might tell me. I really waited a long time to go. I kept thinking, probably because of celebs in their 40's having babies, that I could do it on my own. I spent a fortune every month on hpt's. I took herbs. I bought the big fertility monitor. I didn't ovulate.

Once I was told about my FSH level, I called and made an appointment with the RE. I was told about the wonders of Donor Eggs. I have done one DE cycle that was not successful. I am beginning another cycle.

People need to be aware of infertility. Out of all of my friends growing up and in college, I can only think of 2 who did not have problems getting pregnant. Infertility can touch everyone to some degree. It can be heartbreaking. It can be devastating.

Hopefully, in my case, with the help of medical assistance, it can be overcome!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said…

    I think that's one of the problems--that people don't speak about IF and they don't have "real" information. That's why I love Marcia Cross for being open about DE because she points out the reality--many women can't get pregnant with their eggs, but they can carry with someone else's. And I don't think the average American knows about DE. Thank you for getting the word out there :-)

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    I, too, am so impressed with Marcia Cross. Although she hasn't "come out", she has pointed out the reality for women. I hate those celebs who do use medical assistance to get pregnant (whether it be de, ivf, or just drugs) and don't admit it. I wish so badly that others would come forward and say, yes, I used ART to get pregnant and there's nothing wrong with that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home